To believe or not to believe
I’m not sure how anyone can claim to be a “Christian agnostic” (“Believe it or not, the bishop’s an agnostic”, May 20). It makes as much sense as calling a colour “ashen red” or a size “gigantically small”. The words are incongruous. An agnostic believes God is unknowable, whereas a Christian believes God has made himself known in the person of Jesus. Bishop Holloway has a choice to make.
Lynette Spicer Telopea
What a fantastically concise explanation of Â what God has done through Jesus. Thanks Lynette!
I watchedÂ Code of Silence, a documentary on the abuse of women that seems to be an integral part of Rugby League. It was a horrible experience and it made me feel angry at just about everyone and everything:
- Angry that these women were hurt, degraded, and then disposed of.
- Angry that the players don’t seem to realise they have done anything wrong.
- Angry that the coach says they are acting in the manner of all 20-something males (here’s a hint – they weren’t!).
- Angry that the head of the NRL passes the buck to the clubs.
- Angry that the clubs brush it off as a regrettable incident.
- Angry that some women think it’s OK to dress like a skank and go to a club in order to ‘get laid’.
- Angry that the league has to provide ‘consent training’.
- Angry that the training seems to be a waste of time.
- Angry that those morons (watch the documentary and try and tell me they aren’t…) don’t think there is anything wrong with picking up random women and forcing them into degrading sex acts with your whole team as long as youÂ ”put them in a cab and [say] thanks” afterwards.
- Angry that one of the victims thought getting drunk was an integral part of having a ‘fun time’.
- Angry that the reporter pressed for detailed descriptions of the sex acts.
- Angry at the Footy Show Guys for brushing the whole thing off.
- Angry that they showed full-frontal male nudity on the camera for no good reason.
- Angry at myself for ever having looked at pornography, which leads to guys thinking this kind of thing is acceptable.
- Angry that some people think that these players are just “being naughty”.
- Angry that the apoplogy wasn’t.
Watching made me feel sick,Â I don’t know how anyone could watch that documentary and see anything but evil.Â How do you even start to change a culture like this?
It needs a miracle.